Colorful Predatory Fish
- Plan for the length of your absence. If you are gone a couple of days, most fish should be fine without food. If you are on a month long trip, your fish will require food.
- Understand the risks. Whenever you leave your fish to travel, there will always be risks. If you have rare and expensive fish, always make sure that you have the proper care plan laid out, and make sure it is a foolproof as possible.
- Plan according to the type of fish you have. Different fish have different dietary needs. Be sure to know exactly what kinds of fish you have.
- Carnivores require live food and/or carnivore pellets.
- Omnivores: A large amount of fish fall into this category. Most fish in this group could be fed a food block(bought from a local fish store). Feeder blocks work by encasing food in a block of minerals that dissolves gradually in water over several days. For omnivores with a stricter diet of pellets and dried foods, use the automatic vacation feeder as described in the carnivore section.
- Herbivores: These are fish with a vegetable and plant diet. If you can feed them dried seaweed or vegetables, then use the vacation feeder. If they must get fresh vegetables than it would be best to get someone to come over and feed your fish.
- Know your options. There are several methods of feeding fish during your absence.
- Get a vacation feeder and fill the compartments with the correct food for your fish. The feeder will automatically release food into the water according to a schedule that you program into it. This method is only suitable for fish that take pellet and flake like foods, as it will not hold bloodworms and other live foods. Freeze-dried bloodworms are available.
- Put feeder fish of varied sizes in the tank. It is key to put different sized feeder fish into the tank as the predator will eat some first, and some later, according to size. Do not put live worms into the tank as they will foul up your water.
- Have someone come over and feed your fish. This is the best method, especially if your fish are picky eaters, but make sure that they have enough time to feed your fish, and know how, when and what to feed them.
A case against punctuated equilibrium2008-10-01 20:36:59 by HispanicMan
LONDON (Reuters) - Some colorful cichlid fish in Africa's Lake Victoria formed a new species by adapting their vision, showing that geographical isolation is not essential for divergence.
The fish evolved to improve their ability to see food and predators at different depths, and this also affected the way they saw colors and attracted mates, said Ole Seehausen, who led the study published in the journal Nature.
"The split of one species into two was initiated by adaptation of the sensory system, in this case the eyes, to the local environment," said Seehausen
You might also like: